Monday, November 29, 2010

The Quirky Brown Reading Challenge 2011


The Quirky Brown Reading Challenge 2011

I saw this challenge on BrownGirl BookSpeak. I found it an interesting challenge. So here are the details from the blog:

"the Quirky Brown Reading Challenge. This challenge is more than about finishing a certain number of books, but about challenging the overly subscribed to depictions of the so-called “Black experience”. I hope participants also discover some of our lesser known contributions to American literature.

Details:This will not be a numbers heavy challenge as there will be a book selected to be read by challenge participants for a discussion around the halfway point (i.e. summer). Those who join the challenge before January 1, 2011 will be able to vote. The poll is in the sidebar. This challenge will run from January 1, 2011 until December 31, 2011. I'm supplying a list of authors and titles here but, these are merely suggestions. The only requirement is that they are Black authors depicting an offbeat Black experience. Feel free to leave recs in the comments of this post and I'll add them to the list."


Levels

I: 2 books II: 3 books III: 4 books IV: 5+ books


I am going to commit to level I - 2 books
Hunting in Harlem by Mat Johnson
Coffee Will Make You Blalck by April Sinclair

No comments:

Post a Comment