Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins





My Review:
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this. 'Great, another YA school paranormal trilogy' is what I was thinking to myself. I ended up like this though. Sophie does yet another spell that goes wrong. This time it lands her in a paranormal boarding school called Hecate Hall. From the moment she set foot on the island her life as she knows it changes. Never having met anyone else like herself, she is now surrounding by witches, shape-shifters, faeries, and a vampire. Throughout the school year she learns about her family and those who want to destroy people like her.

The story never stops in Hex Hall. I enjoyed getting to know the characters. Lately I haven't been connecting with the lead characters of these types of books. Sophie is a character that I could relate to. She isn't the type to sit around pining for friends who don't want to be friends with her. Though she has a crush, she is not obsessed over him. She is witty in the way she see the world around her.

Fast paced and interesting to read the only thing you can really say negative about this book is that it's not all that original. But hey, there are only so many story-lines to go around. What is important is that the characters are relate-able, the story is interesting, and there is no lagging in the read. Looking forward to reading book 2 Demon Glass


Trivia Question: What is on this cover that shouldn't be?
Hint: Sophie says the answer by name

Challenges:
Paranormal Reading Challenge
2013 Where Are You Reading Challenge
Let Me Count The Way

No comments:

Post a Comment