Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Unenchanted: An Unfortunate Fairytale by Chanda Hahn


UnEnchanted By: Chanda Hahn
Unenchanted: An Unfortunate Fairytale
By Chanda Hahn
Ebook: pgs. 233
Series: An Unfortunate Fairytale Book 1
Rating: 2 stars (2.4)


From KoboBooks:
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, but it all changes when she learns she is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their fairytale unfinished business. To break the storybook curse on her family, Mina must relive all of the fairytales…until the very Grimm end.


My Review:
I was going through the Kobo website looking to see what YA books they had. Basically I had some time to kill. I came across Unechanted. It was free so I said what the heck. I liked the concept of the story. As the title and cover (clue #1) suggest this is a fairytale retelling. I am not going to say what of because what would be the point of reading the book.

I didn’t even feel annoyed by Mina insecurities like I usually do because of her mother. Mina never understood why when anything the least bit weird. During a field trip to Babushka (clue #2) Bakery Mina saves one of her classmates from falling to his death which starts her family curse. The Grimm curse: (she also learns for the first time that her name is Grimm not Grime) a family member must complete all 200 fairytales. If the person doesn’t succeed they die and the curse starts over from story one with a new family member.

I just had to finish this book. The concept had me hooked. I’m actually looking forward to the second book, Fairest. With all this said, time should have been spent editing and then editing some more. If you are a stickler for a well edited book, you will indeed be unenchanted. However, if you can over look Mina’s winey, annoying, insecure personality as well as the typos it’s an entertaining story.

Plot: 2*  Writing: 2  Character: 2  Other 3**  Overall Feel 3***

*There were some things left unexplained. Like the guy who helps Mina. It is never explained who he is and why he is there. The ending of the relationship between her and Brody (the classmate she saved) was unsatisfying.
**The retelling concept is good.
**I couldn’t put it down.
Challenges:

No comments:

Post a Comment