Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Help by Kathryn Stockett


The Help


























18 hours 19 minutes
rating 3stars

My Review:
I have avoided this book (and movie) for awhile. However, every time I went to search for a book to read it would show up. Finally, I decided to go ahead and give it a listen. It turned out to be a good read. I don't care for stories that I know will upset me. I story about Black maids in the South I knew would get under my skin. I was right but It sucked me in.

Each character had their own story. My favorite character was definitely Milli. I saw alot of me in her. LOL, I am someone who tells it like it is even when I probably should just keep my mouth shut. The book is written from the point of view of Skeeter, Ableen, and Milli. It could have gotten confusing but thankful it was not. It successfully plays on your emotions while reading it.

One thing that caught my attention that wasn't addressed (though the maids still got credit for the book) is that the book idea was not original to Skeeter. Ableen states that her son wanted to write a similar book but a few pages later it was made to seem as if Skeeter got hit with this idea in the middle of the night. Also I think that the setting of the neighborhoods could have be described in a little more detail. Those were the two problems I had with this book with this book.

I can related to this book. If you read my profile (to the right )you will see that I am a Southerner though I have lived longer in the North as I have in the South. I grew up in a pretty infamous Southern city known for its part in the civil rights movement. My previous comment of describing the town in more detail would have added to show just how different the two races lived. I know where I grew up not going did the neighborhood have a different feel, the houses looked different.

The Help is a good read. I am glad that I read it. There were parts that were upsetting as well as parts that were funny. I would recommend this book to anyone.


Challenges:
2014 Book Bingo Reading Challenge
I Love Library Books Reading Challenge 2014
2014 Monthly Key Word Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment