READING ROAD TRIP June 1st 12:00 AM EST to August 31st 11:59 PM EST
Summertime is finally here! And what better way to celebrate than to go on a road trip....a Reading Road Trip! Below you will find the rules and guidelines.
Goal: To read books that take place in all 50 states plus Washington DC.
1. The characters must actually go to the state and mention it or a city in the state by name. If the location is visited in a flashback in which the story switches to the time period when the characters were actually there then that counts. Simply telling a story about when a character was there without the story switching to that time does not.
2. When you post your review, you must include the name of the state you are claiming points for and a short sentence about what the characters did there.
3. You receive one point per state. (51 points total with DC)
4. A maximum of five states can be claimed with one book.
5. You cannot claim the states until you finish the entire book.
6. Children's books will not count for this challenge.
7. The game will begin June 1st at 12:00 AM EST and will end August 31st at 11:59 PM EST.
1. If you read one book that visits more than five states, you get a bonus point.
2. You can visit up to ten states twice for an extra point each. You still just get ONE POINT for each of these states. You do not get one point for reading it and a second point for going there twice.
3. If your book also fits the monthly tag, you get two bonus points. The book must be tagged the exact monthly tag on Shelfari to receive the point.
4. If your book mentions a place that is actually a tourist place that is open to the public, you can earn 3 points by telling us basic tourist info about the place: what are their hours? What is the entrance fee? What age group is it targeted to? Four sentences about one of aspect you would be sure to see and why. You can do this a maximum of 5 times but only once per book!
5. When you read a book that takes place in the state you currently live, you can earn 3 points by telling us why YOUR state is the best place to visit on a summer road trip! Include at least three things we could do (i.e. good restaurants, outdoor activities, festivals, plays that are coming to town, the possibilities are endless!) with a couple of sentences description each. You can only do this once. These attractions do NOT have to be mentioned in your book. You are the state expert - show off your home! :)
Note: If you are an international member, please send me a PM and I will randomly select a state for you. If you would like to suggest a state because you have family there, used to live there, have visited and want to brag about the cool stuff you did, you can mention that in the PM and that will most likely work as well.
6. The admins have a summer full of travel planned! We will be announcing one week before our departure the state we are traveling too. If you read a book that takes place in that state by the time we return from our trip, then you will earn a bonus point.
Note: if you have already read for that state and are maxed out on the your extra points for visiting a state twice, you can still earn these points.
1. Completed all 50 states + DC first - $15 Amazon GC.
2. Most points at the end of the competition - $10 Amazon GC.
3. Completed all 50 states + DC with fewest number of books - choice of books from Linda + 5 participation points.
4. Completed all 50 states +DC with most number of books - choice of books from Linda + 5 participation points.
5. Everyone who finishes in the time frame gets 5 participation points.
There will be one thread for score reporting and I will start the thread on June 1st. Please DO NOT make a post for yourself and then post your scores as replies. This makes it very hard to keep track of scoring and shelving.
You are welcome to have your own thread to keep track of what you plan to read and your progress as you go along, but will need to copy your reviews to the main thread to get the points.
If you are claiming points please follow the example format. You will also need to include your review in your post and may include a running total and state count if you like.
State: South Dakota: The main characters visit South Dakota to investigate a mine.
State: Washington D.C.: The main character is a Hill staffer in the Capitol.
Bonus: tagged Suspense
Bonus: The US Capitol is a tourist destination that I would visit. It is free to the public....
Total: 7 points
Bunnita's Reading Travel Buggie
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
This is a story about teenage love and angel. It’s suspenseful and a little dangerous. It is a character driven and quite interesting. I wish they would’ve gotten more into the story of Patch as the book focused on the events that the two were going through with only little flashbacks or hints into Patch’s past.
State: Maine: 1pt
Bonus: tagged Suspense 2pts
He Was My Man First by Nancey Flowers and Courtney Parker
This is a story about infidelty, love, trust, and a little obsession. It is fast paced and drama filled. The characters are not likable but real enough. Unfortunately the attitudes of the characters are the attitudes of many people. Women who actively try to take another man woman. Women who blame the woman more than she blame her man for cheating. And men who cheat because there women available to cheat with and woman who will tolerate being cheated on.
State: New York: 1pt
Cumulative Total: 4pts
Maine - Hush, Hush
New York - He Was My Man First
South Carolina - Virals
Virginia - The Rocky Road to Romance