Monday, January 17, 2011

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Rated 4.5 stars
I love the movie The Color Purple. Heck, purple is my favorite color. I have read this book once before but so fast that I didn't retain much. This time around I paid attention. There are so many difference between the book and the movie. I won't get into the differences because well...you need to read them for yourself. I will say this, the movie added things or changed things for dramatic effect. There were also other events that were more mild than in the book.
The relationship between Celie and Shug has more detail. In fact, all the relationships are deeper than those protrayed in the movie. Any opinions you may have formed about the character may just change as you get an expand view of them. The book is written in journal/letter form. If you remember the movie, Celie always said Dear God and then tell you about what's gonna on. Later when she finds Nettie letters Dear God turns to Dear Celie. This is how the entire books is written. There are no chapter just letter format. It is a fast read however, Celie's Dear God entries are written they way she speaks so words are not spelled correctly. This may slow you up a bit but not too much I think. This should go on you to be read list.
Challenges:

No comments:

Post a Comment