Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Howarts Reading Challenge 2011



Hogwarts Reading Challenge 2011
January 1, 2011 to June 30, 2011

winner is Anja Kasap of Hufflepuff


In the Hogwarts Reading Challenge you are a student of the school. You will be sorted into houses. Each book you read must fit in to the subject of one the classes. You do not have to read books that fit all the subjects. Each book equals one point (toward the house cup).

You must read at least 5 books (audio books counts) before you are enter in to the drawing. At the end of the Challenge one person will win a $15 Amazon Gift Card and one house will win the House Cup (purely a pride thing).

I will post all of the Mini Challenges in the next few days so that everyone can plan out their books in advance.

To be eligible to win prizes you must have a blog and sign up using Mr. Linky. Then start a Hogwarts Reading Challenge post and link it back to this post.
****Update you can be eligible for prize if you become a member of I Love Reading Challenges on Shelfari and keep the list of the books you read for this challenge under the Hogwarts Challenge post there. You can also become a fan of the I Love Reading Challenges Facebook fan page and keep you list there as well.

Click here to go to the Sorting Hat. Please be honest. If there are too many in one particular house you may be place into another. So if the Sorting Hat places you in Sytherin you are Sytherin for duration of this challenge.

Click here to check your individual points and your house points.


Reading one of the 7 Harry Potter books earns you 25 house points. You can only read this books once during the challenge. 15 points for any other Harry Potter related book such as Tales of Beedle the Bard or A Parent's Guide to Harry Potter, again these books and only be read once during the challenge.

Have any questions leave them in a comment and I will get back to you. Have fun, good luck and Happy Reading!

****you can also find this challenge at my group I Love Reading Challenge on Shelfari

The Houses
Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin
If you were a part of this challenge before you can stay in the house you were in or go to any house of your choosing just leave a comment letting me know what house you are in.



The Classes

Transfiguration - read any book that has trans or figure in its title, is about shape shifting, has a shape shifter in it, or is about anything having to do with changing one thing into another
Defence Against the Dark Arts - read any book that has defence(defense), dark and/or art(s) in its title, read any book that is about self defense, war, history of war/marital arts, murder mysteries

Charms - read any book that has charm in its title, any book that deals with gives something or someone a new aspect (for example the nerdy guy become a handsome doctor)

Potions - read any book that has potion in its title, cookbooks count but you must cook at least one recipe out of the book

Astronomy - read any book that has astronomy in its title, books about planets, stars, etc, sci-fi

History of Magic - read any book that has history or magic in its title, books about magic, witches, etc

Herbology - read any book that has herb in its title, again cookbooks count and again you must cook at least one recipe out of the book

Arithmancy - read any book that has arithmancy in its title, any book with a number in its title, any book that deal with numbers or math

Ancient Runes - read any book that has ancient or runes in its title, books about historical places like the pyramids, Stonehenge, great wall of china, or any book about symbols
Divination - read any book that has divine in its title, any book about psychics or psychic abilities, tarot reading etc

Care of Magical Creatures - read any book that has magical or creatures in its title, about supernatural beings

Muggle Studies - nearly any book works here, what better way to understand Muggles than to read what they read

How to list your books and keep track of points:
When you copy this post onto your blog just list the book you read for the challenge under the subject to which it fits. Please list books using numbered bullet points. This makes keeping track of points easier for me.
EX:
History of Magic - read any book that has history or magic in its title, books about magic, witches, etc
1. Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts 3/12/2010
You can be a part of this challenge on Shelfari I Love Reading Challenges group if you do not have a blog.



36 comments:

  1. I'd like to sign up, but there's not a link for the sorting hat. I'll go ahead and make a post for it and worry about getting sorted later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I've been waiting for this to come again. So happy you are doing this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the same problem with the links - would love to sign-up, but nothing is "clickable."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I have linked up my post (in progress) and the Sorting Hat quiz says I am in Ravenclaw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see a link either, but I did a google image search until I found the buttons that everyone seems to be using and came up with this link:

    http://timidity.org/tests/sortinghat.html

    It says I'm in Gryffindor. I'd rather it be Slytherin. But as long as it's Hogwarts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like fun. I'll add my blog post soon (like others, don't seem to have the link for the sorting hat). Love the "classes" Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see the links either, but I am happy to join this challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but do books from other challenges count? Or should the books be specifically for this one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Everyone,
    Thank you for joining the challenge. The sorting hat link has been added that you to fakesteph that is the link that I use. Also, yes, you can overlap books from different challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I keep a running total at the bottom of my challenge list do I have to number the books in the post?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andrea,
    No. If you keep a running total of your books then you do not have to number the books in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I'm joining up! Just after I swore I was not going to join another challenge LOL. I was sorted into Hufflepuff which makes me extremely happy as that is the house I wanted to be sorted in. I really look forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a quick question. I'm currently reading the book Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise would that count for Herbology? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi MommyWants To Read and welcome. Yes, Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise can go under Herbology.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the reminder post on my blog! Im in again this year, back on team Hufflepuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited to do this challenge this year. What a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a question about where a book would fit in? I just read World Without End by Ken Follett. I had it under History of Magic, but now I'm thinking that's wrong and maybe it should be under Defense of Dark Arts or Muggle Studies. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am thinking it's a Muggle Studies book since it does fall under historical fiction.

    Muggles Studies is the place where books go when they don't fit any place else but this is a great example of what a Muggles Studies book may be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting the challenge again! I had a lot of fun with it last year.

    I've added my post link and the Sorting Hat put me in Ravenclaw again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the comment on my blog letting me know this was up again! I am so excited. I was sorted into Ravenclaw again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really looking forward to this challenge. I have one question though.. do crossover books from other challenges count towards house point?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey thanks for hosting this AMAZING challenge. I've dedicated an entire page to it on my blog. I've linked up and everything. I've been sorted into Ravenclaw. So excited to get started.

    xo,
    Lah

    ReplyDelete
  23. wish i'd seen this challenge before, i've already signed up to more challenges than i can manage, but this looks really good.
    May have to sign up and see how i do. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like fun! I am a big Harry Potter fan.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds awesome! My post has been linked, and I got sorted into Ravenclaw.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I wanted to find out if graphic novels count?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! I just signed-up for this challenge...super excited! :) I accidently mistyped my webpage: http://daydreamsandshoestrings.wordpress.com/book-report/hogwarts-reading-challenge/

    I was sorted into Gryffindor! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe I'm not seeing it but how to I add what books I've read? Can someone help me?

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi Kari, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I didn't see your comment. Yes graphic novels count as well as short stories, children books (not picture books cause does don't have that many pages), audio books, and YA.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey! I know i am super late for the Challenge..but can i still have in?
    I already made a post for it and linked it up..if i can't i shall just delete my entry!
    Thanks for hosting! Epic Challenge!:D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh man, I found out about this too late :-( It ends in June and I wont be much good before then. This is a great idea though! I'm going to follow you and hope to get in on this next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous idea! I just found you so I hope you do it again

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Nita -

    Could you delete number 14? I switched the location of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ok I will soon as I figure out how to do that since it's not letting me right now

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just letting you know I'm doing the 7 harry potter books for my required 7 books.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Merlin's Beard!! How exciting! Thank you so much Bunnitaz, it was such a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete