Saturday, July 28, 2012

Shoot the Breeze #1


Shooting the Breeze

So I know what you all are saying. There have been more postings on this blog but it's mostly memes, where's the reviews? Well I have been reading...well listening to books so I have many to review. I am working on a way to make my reviews better. So I have be blog hopping look at what others are doing. I have learned that I like the more conversational style of reviews. I think I already do that to some extent here but it still needs more substance. 

I also like Roof Beam Reader system of rating. So I will incorporate something like that in my reviews as well. I hope he doesn't mind. I have been taking these elements (plot, characters, writing, and other small things that make the book) into consideration but I never though to rate them separately to come up with an average. I think it makes for a better rating of a book. My reviews will still be based on the feel of the book. I do not read for academic purposes, or to find a literary master piece. I read to lose myself in the book.

Therefore all my categories are still pretty much based in emotions. For example, the writing category, I am not some much concern with technical aspects of writing as I am with the ease and pace of reading. If the writing is distracting or hard to follow that is a problem for me. I am not all that concern with whether or not it switches from first to third person narration or from present to past tense.


My overall rating system is still 1-5
  1. poor
  2. needs work
  3. average
  4. above average
  5. excellent
With that said I have more reviews to write and more reading to do. The second half this year will see more post so get ready. And feel free to leave comments. I always reply back. Now off to write and schedule another review.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found some ideas to meet your needs better.

    Lots of bloggers have became audio book lovers, I can't get into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I still trying to find ways to blog better.

    I got into audiobooks at my last job. Sometmes I get tired of listening to the same old songs so I'll listen to an audio book to break things up. I can't listen to the at home though.

    ReplyDelete